• 253-891-1138
  • January 25, 2022

Things to Know

Start planning your next trip to Alberta with the helpful information below!


View More

Alberta has two international airports, one in Edmonton and one in Calgary. Easy access to Alberta from more than 100 cities worldwide is available with most major airlines and charter companies. For specific information on scheduled and charter flights, contact your local travel agent.


View More

The diversity in Alberta calls for shrewd packing. If you’re heading to the Rockies for any sort of outdoor adventure, dress in layers. Apart from a handful of very formal urban restaurants, most dining establishments in Alberta welcome casual attire. Always bring sunglasses and a hat to provide protection from strong sunlight.


View More

Canada’s monetary system is based on dollars and cents. Traveller’s cheques and credit cards are accepted at most commercial establishments, banks and currency exchange offices. Banking hours are generally 9:30 am to 4 pm, Monday through Friday. Some banks are open Saturdays. Most automated teller machines (ATMs) are linked to one or more of the following networks: Interac, Cirrus or Plus.


View More

Alberta’s health-care plan does not cover out-of-province visitors. Clarify your coverage with your personal insurance carrier before entering Alberta as you may wish to obtain additional health insurance.


View More

The average tip in Canada ranges from 15 to 20 per cent and is usually given for good service by food servers, taxi drivers, tour guides, hotel staff and estheticians.


View More

Renting an Automobile
To rent a car, you must be at least 21 years old and hold a valid driver’s license and a major credit card.

Driving Documents
Driver’s licenses from all countries are valid in the province for up to three months. An International Driving Permit, available in your home country, is valid in Alberta for one year. If driving, bring vehicle registration forms and a free Canadian Non-Resident Insurance Card from your insurance agent, or the policy itself. If you’re driving a rented car, bring a copy of the rental contract.

Highway Travel
Alberta is accessible from the east and west by two officially designated Trans-Canada routes. Hwy 1 crosses Alberta in the south and the Yellowhead Highway (Hwy 16) crosses central Alberta. North – south travel is provided on the Queen Elizabeth II Highway (Hwy 2), or you may want to take the scenic route through the mountain parks on the spectacular Icefields Parkway (Hwy 93). Weather, construction and other activities result in different highway conditions across Alberta.

Speed Limits
Highways have a speed limit of 100 km/h (62 mph), except in the Rocky Mountain National Parks, which have limits of 90 km/h (56 mph) due to wildlife crossings. Most other rural highways and country roads have a speed limit of 80 km/h (50 mph). Motorists passing stopped emergency vehicles or tow trucks must drive at 60 km/h, or at the posted speed limit, whichever is slower. Motorists passing construction workers must obey posted speed limits or be subject to double the traffic fines for a regular speeding offence.

Road Safety Tips
Seat belt use is mandatory for all drivers and passengers in Canada. The Distracted Driving Law is in effect which prohibits drivers from talking, texting or emailing on a hand-held communication devices, using other electronic devices, reading, writing or personal grooming while behind the wheel.


View More

According to Environment Canada, Alberta has more sunshine annually than any other province or territory in Canada (312 days). Alberta is ranked number one for having the most comfortable weather, overall, in Canada.