Cunard Unveils 2019 Alaska Shore Excursions
Cunard announced new shore excursions for its return to Alaska with Queen Elizabeth's 2019 voyages. Queen Elizabeth will sail four 10-night Alaska voyages roundtrip from Vancouver, departing May 21, 31, June 10 and 20, 2019 with port calls in Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan, Sitka, Icy Strait Point, and Victoria.
Photo courtesy of Cunard.
Cunard will offer more than 140 shore excursions in Alaska including:
- Whale watching and Wildlife Quest: A catamaran takes guests past snow-capped peaks and glaciers in the waters of Stephens Passage, a feeding ground for humpback whales. Alive with Orca whales, sea lions, harbor seals, porpoises, bald eagles, Sitka Blacktail deer and bears, this region offers an opportunity to see wild Alaska up close.
- Dogsled Adventure by Helicopter: This combination tour features two ways to experience Alaska's glacial scenery. Guests embark on a helicopter ride to view the scenery from above before driving a team of huskies with professional mushers over Juneau’s Mendenhall Glacier.
- Taku Lodge Feast & Five-Glacier Seaplane Discovery: A floatplane allows guests to fly over waterfalls, mountains, deep crevasses, and the azure meltwater pools of five glaciers. Guests also enjoy a visit to remote Taku Glacier Lodge, only accessible by floatplane, where they learn about historic hunters and trappers and explore forest trails teaming with wildlife, including black bears.
- Sea Otter & Wildlife Quest: Guests embark on a catamaran in search of sea otters, whales, Steller sea lions, porpoise, and harbor seals. Back on dry land, an expert escorts guests through the Alaska Raptor Center, bird of prey and education center on the edge of Tongass National Forest. The experience will culminate with the Fortress of the Bear sanctuary, a rescue facility for orphaned brown bears, where guests can observe the bears in residence from a viewing platform.
- Wilderness Sea Kayaking Adventure: This guided kayak tour along the Alaskan coastline begins with a scenic cruise via motorized Seahawk craft to a floating kayak base camp. Guests paddle through rocky inlets in a two-person kayak, enjoying an intertidal zone filled with colorful marine life. They discover a coastal rainforest and may even witness sea lions, eagles, brown bears, and spouting whales.
- Bering Sea Crab Fishermen's Tour: The thrill of commercial fishing comes to life on the Aleutian Ballad, one-time star of the Discovery Channel television series "Deadliest Catch." On the waters of the Inside Passage off the coast of Ketchikan, guests onboard enjoy a front row seat to the action as 700-pound crab pots are hauled out of the sea to show how Alaska King crabs are caught.
- Cooking in Alaska's Wildest Kitchen: A wilderness chef and author demonstrates how to prepare wild, natural, and sustainable Alaskan seafood in a hands-on tasting session, explaining what sets Alaskan seafood apart, including how to handle an alder-wood grill.
- Scenic Mountain Ascent & World's Largest ZipRider: Guests soak up views of Icy Strait and Glacier Bay as they 'fly' 300 feet over treetops on a ZipRider cable ride — the highest in the United States. The ride begins on towering Hoonah Mountain, gliding at up to 60 miles per hour, this mile-long zip-ride adventure ends with a gentle touchdown on the beach at Icy Strait Point.
Other excursions include:
- White Pass Scenic Railway — Luxury Class
- Great Alaskan Lumberjack Show & Crab Feast
- ATV Expedition
- Ghosts & Goodtime Girls Walking Tour
- Wilderness Cruise & Silverking Lodge Seafood Feast
- Misty Fjords Seaplane Exploration
- Exclusive Burro Creek Waterfall Lodge & Crab Feast
Cunard will also offer pre-and post-voyage Rocky Mountaineer rail tours, which include either three- or five-nights' accommodation and two full days aboard the train. The expedition travels through an array of scenery including the Canadian Rockies, winding river canyons, mountain passes, and tunnels.
The post Cunard Unveils 2019 Alaska Shore Excursions appeared first on Avid Cruiser.
Article ID: ART4064