Backroads is the world’s #1 active travel company with the most destinations, itineraries and annual departures in the active vacation industry. They offer deluxe Biking, Walking, Multisport, Insider and Family trips around the globe—from India to Iceland and Tuscany to Thailand. With more than 2,570 annual departures to 45 unique countries and territories, they have you covered.
Active travel is the difference between looking at life and living it. Backroads offers experiences that travelers cannot have behind the wheel of a car, or on a train or a tour bus, or in a few excursions from a cruise ship or a secluded resort. Active travel is, at its heart, a way of connecting more authentically with the world.
Backroads guests travel at their own pace with their own set of maps and directions, allowing for a very unique and individual experience but also with the comfort of optimum support. Backroads vacations are 6-10 days long, escorted and all-inclusive; they are fully supported by three or more professional Backroads Trip Leaders and two vans*. Backroads is the only active travel company that offers two support vehicles out on the routes. This means they can be in more places at once, providing maximum support and greater flexibility for their guests. (*95% of Backroads guests travel with the support of two or more vans and three leaders. The other 5% are on trips with very few guests where just one van and two leaders can maintain their high service standards).
Backroads is known for its quality service and operation, largely in part because they operate all of their own trips worldwide. They never outsource. Their trip designers have the expertise to create truly remarkable experiences that showcase the perfect blend of activities, culture, history and the essence of the region. Backroads Trip Leaders, all of whom are Backroads employees, manage the logistics and details for a seamless vacation.
The Backroads Traveler
Backroads’ oldest guest is 93 years old and he has taken four trips in the past four years! And they have one couple, Bill and Beverly (ages 70 and 69 respectively) who have taken 33 trips with Backroads! And they don’t seem to be slowing down. Retirees often have the time to train and the means to travel, so don’t feel intimidated to try active travel.