10 Reasons to Cruise from Stockholm
When you’re choosing a cruise itinerary, be sure to consider ships that begin — or end — their cruises from Stockholm. Even if you don’t add on a couple of nights before or after your cruise to enjoy the Swedish capital, you’ll still appreciate cruising into or out of one of the world’s most beautiful turnaround ports. If you need a little inspiration, here are 10 reasons to cruise to or from Stockholm:
- Stockholm is Beautiful - Built on 14 islands, Stockholm appears to be floating on water. Add to that the beautiful architecture and an abundance of nature, and you couldn’t ask for a prettier port of arrival — or departure.
- Awesome Archipelago - If 14 islands should prove to be insufficient, not to worry: At Stockholm’s doorstep are 30,000 islands in the archipelago. Cruising through the archipelago is surely one of the world’s most beautiful transits.
- Ancient Old Town - Gamla Stan, Stockholm’s Old Town, is one of the world’s best-preserved Medieval cities. Enjoy strolling the Old Town’s narrow alleys and cobble-stone streets, taking time to stop in cozy cafes, shops and world-class restaurants.
- Pedestrian & Bicycle Friendly - The Swedish capital is compact and easy to get around on foot or by bike. Want to experience Stockholm’s nature? A visit to royal park Djurgården will fool you into thinking you’re in the Swedish countryside when, in fact, you’re in the city center.
- Fika - You could call Fika a coffee break, but you’d be wrong. It’s much more than that. Fika is a social institution where Swedes sit down to catch up over coffee and Swedish cakes, such as kanelbulle (the original cinnamon bun).
- Good Value - Surveys show that Stockholm offers the best value among the Scandinavian capitals. Want more for your money? Think Stockholm.
- Culture & History - Stockholm has the world’s highest concentration of museums and an abundance of attractions and galleries.
- Green City - With one third of its land area covered in parks, and one third in water, Stockholm is a green city. Stockholm was the first city to be awarded Europe’s Green Capital.
- Easy Access - Getting to Stockholm from destinations worldwide is easy thanks to numerous flights daily from all over the world, including some low-cost carriers.
- Captial of Scandinavia - Stockholm is not just the capital of Sweden but also the self-proclaimed capital of Scandinavia. Why? The city is a Nordic hub in both business and in culture. For cruisers that means excellent infrastructure and convenient cultural activities.